The Bio-Wellness Index (BWI®) score is a calculation based on the integrity of lean body mass versus total fat mass in order to provide a more purposeful number out of 10 as an overall measure of progress in the promotion of healthy lean body mass for longevity. The BWI was invented by and is proprietary to Evolt.
Significant research exists supporting the importance of maintaining lean body mass in a fat loss scenario such as –
- Increased metabolism of lean muscle assists with reduction of obesity.
- Increased muscle glycogen (carbohydrate) storing capacity for exercise.
- Maintaining muscle over the lifespan can aid in reduction in obesity and weight gain as a result of aging (in presence of sarcopenia).
- Improved ability to tolerate high stress environments.
- Improved responses to critical illness and disease.
- Decreased osteoporosis.
- Improved bone density.
- Improved independence and activities of daily living in older adults.
- Decreased risk of falls in older adults.
- Protection against injury from bumps and knocks.
The BWI® Score is about establishing the right composition of weight gained or lost and takes into account the age and gender of the individual in comparison to the World Health Organization standards. The purpose of the BWI® is to provide one simple metric as a measuring score of body composition health.
For more information about the Bio-Wellness Score or purchasing an Evolt 360 for your business contact us today.